Sunday, April 2, 2017

Whitty Whitman

The Whit of Whitman

Task 1:
Some of the words/phrases I noticed in the audio:
- Young or Old
- Strong
- Enduring
- Capable
- Mute
- Love
- Freedom

Throughout this audio I noticed words that were similar but many that also had contrast. Whitman's audio consisted of a central theme of love in America, which he begun the audio with. He then continued with a word choice that varied; touching on multiple perspectives of what love in America consists of. Some examples of the contrast I noticed was: young or old and mute and freedom. However, many of the words consisted in the same encouraging tone: strong, endurance, and capable. This contrast when discussing love is what the audio focuses on. Whitman uses differing word choices to analyze what love means to people in America. For some people love may be mute, or others it may be strong, or even a sense of freedom. Through this short audio Whitman is able to communicate a message to his audience that love is for everyone, even athough it may cause different feeling and contrasting perspectives. For me, I know I have the capability to love whether I am young or old and it also has a concept of freedom that allows for strong feelings. I have not yet experienced a love that is mute, and hope that I do not have to go through that perspective. However, I do understand that many people have experienced a "mute" love and suffer because of it. It is a sad consequence to something that can be so beneficial and great in life. This reveals that Whitman is aware of what love means to different people and that he is also aware of the differences each individual has. This is then translated to his poems and how he analyzes concepts through multiple perspectives.

The imagery that I create in mind throughout this audio is a calming image. I think of an image of a lake with endless grass and a mountain range behind it. The sun is setting and a red-orange color is lighting the sky. There I understand the life that I live and the love that God has for me and the rest of the world. This is a peaceful image that represents my perspective I have for love. That love is positive and easy. Not complicated or stressful, not mute, but a sense of freedom in society.



Step 2

In Whitman's notebook his writing consisted of his thoughts on America and the politics surrounding America. It should be noted that many of his notes were taken during the time of his life that may be categorized as a "mid-life crisis". Whitman was very opinionated on many presidents and elections throughout his life. He analyzed many in his thoughts throughout the notebook. This alters my viewpoint of the audio to a more reflective tone of the government of the United States at the time. Whitman is documented to be democratic and his audio may offer his opinions on the leadership during the time in the US and Lain America. By using this viewpoint the word choice of "freedom" as well as "strong", "capable" "mute" and "enduring" can be noted to describe the government. Through this word choice his viewpoint on the confusing nature of the government is explained. Whitman understands the importance of the government and does recognize it as strong. However, in some cases he may believe that it can be mute and not reflect the freedom of the United States that it should consist of. This relates to how he uses the word "capable" to describe the government. The use of "capable" offers an understanding that the government is acceptable but not necessarily doing the best of jobs that it could. Through understanding that his notebook analyzes his thoughts on American government, it is useful to notice the effect it has on his poems. I can now contemplate that maybe his poems revolve more around a central theme of politics and government in America rather than love. This then creates a differing tone for the poems, a more realistic tone referring to politics than a romantic tone when referring to love.

RIP Harambe,
Connor Finnegan

1 comment:

  1. I think the way you offset, tone, themes and other elements , with a colon is a great technique to use. By doing so you establish what you're going to explore in your analysis.Also good job on mentioning context, in the second paragraph. However I think you could have expanded on the impact that the "midlife crisis" had on his writing. You mention that is should be noted but why?

    ReplyDelete