Sunday, December 4, 2016

Fate>>>>choice

3. Do you believe events in your life have been guided by fate or chance? Why or why not? Based on the text, what do you think Shakespeare's attitude was towards fate? Does Macbeth have any choice in his actions or was everything predetermined? Use examples from the text as your support.


I believe that the events in my life have been guided by fate. Throughout this guided fate driven life I know that I have had to make choices on the direction of some events, however, I believe that most of my life has been decided by fate. I did not have a choice of what family I was born into or where in the world I was born. However, I have made choices that have created relationships and have set myself up with where I am today. These choice have been influenced by fate and who I have had the opportunity to meet or interact with in events. Though, fate is not the only thing that has ultimately delivered me to where I am at in my life. I have the choice of to do this homework or to do well in classes This determines where I might go to college or where I may find a job. However, I believe that even though these choices may vary, my final destination has already been determined by fate. The choices I make only delay or vary how I arrive to where fate has decided for me to end up. I believe that Shakespeare would mostly agree with my perspective on fate.  This is based on how the witches announce that MacBeth will be Thane of Cawdor. However, MacBeth's choice to have Banquo killed was not included in the witches announcement. This is an example of how MacBeth used choices to vary some of the fate, however, he still ultimately is the Thane of Cawdor and killed Duncan to become the Thane. This is why I believe that Shakespeare shares my belief system on how choices may alter the direction and way someone may ultimately arrive to their fate that has already been decided for them. One of the only things that I wish my fate to be is that I live in happiness, I am not worried on how this path to happiness may be but I wish to have happiness in the end. This is my own personal goal and will to have a fate that ends in this way.
Harambe's death was fate,
Connor Finnegan

5 comments:

  1. Hey Connor, I think it's really cool that you were able to kind of remove yourself from the first person perspective you normally have in your life to analyze the events and decisions. Also, the connections you were able to make to Macbeth and use that as evidence as to why Shakespeare would agree with you was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you explained fate and choice as sort of yin and yang. They are intertwined but they still end up in the same place. I thought your analysis of Shakespeare was also very accurate and how the choices he made were to get to his fate, whether he got their quicker because of his choices. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always felt the same way about fate vs free will but I could never come to a concrete definition of it but think you hit it by suggesting an independent and dependent variable relationship. I see where that is reflected within the play not only in but also in the actions in characters like lady Macbeth and her persuasion

    ReplyDelete
  4. What evidence do you have that supports your claim about Harambe's death(RIP)(May 26, 2016) being fate? Im very intrigued by your claim I am dying to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you touched on the idea of your practice of free-will being nevertheless determined by fate. Choices you make are inadvertently determined by and connected with the choices fate initially presents to you. Decisions like what job you should take, where you should go to dinner, and who you should marry are all choices that are dependent on the options fate gives to you. People have free will but are constrained by their circumstances. I think this idea was really interesting good job!!

    ReplyDelete