The name "Finnegan" derives from the Irish form "O Fionnagain" meaning descendent of Finnagain. However, the name Finnegan represents more than just a last name to me. It reflects upon my heritage and experiences I have had in my life. Especially in soccer, most of my High School soccer team, as well as my past CASL Club teams, have called me by my last name. I am not entirely sure why this is, but it may be because of how awesome my last name is. This also distinguishes me from any other person named Connor, giving myself a sense of identity. This identity includes the pride I have in my Irish heritage, and is a reason why many people comment on how "Irish" my last name is. This may seem like a simple thing, but this reminds me of my belonging to the Irish nationality. When people call me "Finnegan" it showcases their personal interest in me and reflects upon the bond that myself and that person may have. This is why "Finnegan" is more than just a name for me and such a special name.
With the name "Finnegan" I feel that it is very unique, especially in the Southern heritage of North Carolina. This is something I love because I don't believe that I am "just another guy" in where I live. My last name separates myself from the North Raleigh lifestyle, as well as common last names I have heard over the years, like Miller (@ Justin) and Johnson (@ Ryan); the 7th and 2nd most common last names in the US, according to behindthename.com. Finnegan is actually the 7,158 ranked last name in the Country based on popularity, however, I feel this may be affected based on how big my family is. This is where I feel more at home, with my family, I am a part of a "whole" on my dad's side in Savannah, Georgia. For about 12-14 years straight, my family and I attended the St. Patrick’s day parade in Savannah, we still attend as much as possible. There, I am engulfed with Irish pride. This includes: roast beef, the color green, and beer (a lot of it). Even though I am surrounded by thousands of people from Irish backgrounds, I never found myself struggling to showcase my own identity. The Irish community does not take away from my individuality, it encourages it. People I have never met before come and talk to me, complement me on my outfit, or offer me something to eat. They are always interested in my life in Raleigh and how I am doing. The name Finnegan has allowed me to be a part of such a great community and has encouraged me to be an individual in Raleigh, with or without the rest of Savannah around me. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful last name, opening myself up to life in Savannah, Georgia. My surname is something I am blessed to have, reflecting upon my Irish heritage and individuality.
Whoa- I'm processing how important your Irish side must be to your family, especially in names (Connor AND Reilly). Very neat!
ReplyDelete